420th.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Discord Server Status
Toronto / New York
London (UTC - ZULU)
Brussels
Helsinki

Anyone familiar with 72nd VFW?

+3
Harlequin
Spaz
ClarkKAUS
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anyone familiar with 72nd VFW? Empty Anyone familiar with 72nd VFW?

Post by ClarkKAUS 2012-07-27, 10:13 am

So I sent them a request to join their multiplayer and I get back this request for an "interview" and then a requirement to pass through several weeks of 1 on 1 "training" before I can fly with the other gamers in this game. They sound like a bunch of crackpots. Or is this attitude just fluff by an overzealous admin?

Clark

ClarkKAUS

Back to top Go down

Anyone familiar with 72nd VFW? Empty Re: Anyone familiar with 72nd VFW?

Post by Spaz 2012-07-27, 12:09 pm

That's the way it is there man. Some online squadrons want to run themselves in a way where not only is everyone on the same page, but the same fucking letter. All's fair, you can run your squadron whichever way you like. But in the end, we're all (and I mean everyone that plays BMS) just playing a game/simulator.

If you want to fly with the 420th, you'll have to complete 4 phases of training.

Phase A - Bullshitting on teamspeak

This phase introduces the student to basic social graces and mannerisms used on teamspeak. It will give the student confidence in usual teamspeak banter and shit-talk. Graduates of this phase become exceptional at the "one-up", useful when trying to poo-poo another's accomplishments, while promoting your own.

Phase B - Drinking

Training for this phase takes at our facility in northeast Tennessee. The student will work hands-on with our instructor to become a proficient imbiber. Curriculum for this phase includes courses on lite beer, disposal of empties, and the proper posture to have to avoid injury when passing out in a computer chair.

Phase C - Smoking

Not just for teens & pregnant women anymore. From Tennessee you'll be sent to one of our two smoke-training facilities located in central Ontario or Finland. Located at more isolated northern latitudes to allow for 'introversial contemplation'. Students here excel in the art of smoking (in a variety of manners) both tobacco and its distant green cousin. Snacks extra.

Phase D - Putting it all together

The fourth and final phase of training takes place on our teamspeak server. This phase is instructed by the entire group. It pushes the student to integrate skills learned in the previous three phases of training into all aspects of virtual flight.

Complete all four phases of training and you're on the virtual road to your exciting unpaid virtual career in the virtual skies. You may even be eligible to recieve a picture of a medal in a picture of your logbook in an obscure combat flight simulation.

Spaz
Spaz
Spaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlequin 2012-07-27, 12:16 pm

OMG spaz you're killn'! My post didn't take because i think we posted at the same time... but jesus, we don't need my post anymore. I'm gonna make this thing a sticky!!

Hillarious!!

I'm saddened to hear that i have not yet passed the 420th training regime however. My smoking skills are way lacking. Can someone please help me?
Harlequin
Harlequin

http://www.420th.org

Back to top Go down

Post by ClarkKAUS 2012-07-27, 12:53 pm

Well put (even though I don't drink or smoke) Smile

ClarkKAUS

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlequin 2012-07-27, 1:26 pm

ClarkKAUS wrote:Well put (even though I don't drink or smoke) Smile

Me neither, but they let me hang out here anyway! Smile
Harlequin
Harlequin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf 2012-07-27, 1:44 pm

ClarkKaus,
As far as the 72nd VFW goes your best bet is to download Skype,then hit some of them guys up for a flight to see how you get along. I was a member for a few years,would be happy to answer any Q`s you have if I see you on TS.
@ Spaz,thats great stuff dood !

Very Happy

Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by ClarkKAUS 2012-07-27, 4:15 pm

Thanks, Wolf. I think the main turn off is that I'm not really interested in a being a student pilot just to fulfill someone's fantasy to be an IP. I really don't have a lot of spare time to role play if you know what I mean.

Still haven't been able connect to Veterans Gaming teamspeak server so that road is closed for now...

ClarkKAUS

Back to top Go down

Post by JBlaze 2012-07-28, 6:48 am

LMFAO @ SPAZ!!!

This should be on the front page LOL

Harlequin, it's never too late to start training. Maybe we all should sign up for training in one of the coffee shops in Amsterdam? I'll race you there
JBlaze
JBlaze

Back to top Go down

Post by Mower 2012-07-29, 7:53 am

Well it comes down to what caliber of virtual combat pilots you want to sim with. Or what kind of simming experience you seek shall we say instead.

If we're gonna debate the merits of the more organized VFWs, then there it is.

Recently I flew with another less-organized/rigid VFW and 2 guys in the package couldn't ramp start. That did not instill me with confidence that they were going to hold their end of the mission up...and I was correct.

Things are not so rigid at the 1st, I think we strike a good balance. There is a requirement though for basic understanding of the jet as a weapon and there are set SOPs to ensure stable and smooth missions.

Mower

Back to top Go down

Post by ram22 2012-07-29, 11:47 am

I guess it really all boils down to the fact that here, we just want to fly. There's different levels of exactly what/how each of us here want to do.

Me, after deving so long, I'm just trying to get my legs back under my flying self. Ramp starts, scrooge that for now. BUT the other guys want to do them. I'll get to it in time.

Basically here we really just don't aspire to go overboard with SOP and all that stuff like the 72nd does. But of course I/we do respect the fact that they do and that's fine. There's all sorts of VFW's and they all have their own ways. And that's a good thing as there are tons of VP's looking for just the right seat that suits them.

Brian
ram22
ram22

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlequin 2012-07-29, 1:59 pm

100% agree with Mower... it's all about what you want to get out of the sim/game/sim/game/sim...

One's expectations are rarely backwards compatible though. Not many people with higher performance standards can fly (and find some enjoyment) with guys that don't meet that standard. We're fortunate here to have guys that can fly at multiple levels... it's a huge help for guys that "aren't there yet" but might want to be eventually.

Anyway... RAMs ramp training starts this week!! Twisted Evil
Harlequin
Harlequin

Back to top Go down

Post by JBlaze 2012-07-29, 7:47 pm

Am I there yet? NO! not even close LOL
JBlaze
JBlaze

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlequin 2012-07-29, 9:07 pm

BTW Clark, a number of the 72nd guys have signed up on the blue side in the upcoming Operation Red Flag PvP server. We're also on the blue. If you would like to fly along side and see them in action, you can fly with us if you're interested.

And JB, i'm pretty sure you could fly with most squads out there. Just might not be able to roll with one hand, fly with the other as you've been doing lately! Smile
Harlequin
Harlequin

Back to top Go down

Post by JBlaze 2012-07-29, 10:03 pm

Rolling and flying is not the problem. Rolling and fighting is another thing Very Happy

I doubt that those other squads would have anything to offer me. I already have everything I need right here with ya guys Very Happy
But thanks for your kind words

Somehow I tho we would be on the red side...well you know my memory...
JBlaze
JBlaze

Back to top Go down

Post by ClarkKAUS 2012-07-31, 12:05 pm

I get everyone's points. My two big concerns are:

1) I don't have enough free time to stay up to date on all systems, or learn everyone's way of playing

2) I find that the more "deep" players get into their game, the less tolerant they become of different play styles and more worked up they get when someone makes a mistake. 72 looks like they are in really deep so I'm heeding my intuition this time.

I retracted my request to the 72 for now. Maybe later.

Meanwhile, I'm really glad to be here.

Clark

ClarkKAUS

Back to top Go down

Post by JBlaze 2012-07-31, 12:28 pm

I know what you mean. All those videos on youtube...you hear some harsh comments once in a while "kill that focker or your out of the squad"
I think everyone's heard that one LOL
JBlaze
JBlaze

Back to top Go down

Post by ClarkKAUS 2012-07-31, 1:16 pm

I don't know you well enough to know if you're joking. Smile

ClarkKAUS

Back to top Go down

Post by JBlaze 2012-07-31, 1:36 pm

Smile

I was referring to some of the youtube videos some squads post up.
Non tolerant behavior towards newbies or guys that are not that deep in to this sim.

Only thing I yell about is "Harlequin, stop jettisoning your stores" on purpose LOL
JBlaze
JBlaze

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlequin 2012-07-31, 3:52 pm

I know I've become a little touchy on the CAT1 lately... But you know what? I've been dying less too. I'll take it! Smile

I know the video you're talking about JB. After watching it, I didn't think I would ever get heavily into MP. "Number 4!! Shoot something, now, or you're out of he fucking squad!". And then he goes and posts it on youtube... Rolling Eyes
Harlequin
Harlequin

Back to top Go down

Post by ram22 2012-07-31, 4:19 pm

ty's a MORON, not our ty, hahahaha

Brian
ram22
ram22

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlequin 2012-07-31, 5:48 pm

JBlaze wrote:Somehow I tho we would be on the red side...well you know my memory...

Yeah dude, you're 100% correct; we're on the red side. facepalm
Harlequin
Harlequin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf 2012-07-31, 6:26 pm

WTF Harley? Your on the other Team?

What a Face

Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlequin 2012-07-31, 8:01 pm

Wolf wrote:WTF Harley? Your on the other Team?
What a Face

LOL! I got everything all f'd up and confused. TO CLARIFY:

We are on the red side. The 72nd is also the red side. I might not be very bright... but at least i'm consistent. Very Happy
Harlequin
Harlequin

Back to top Go down

Post by JBlaze 2012-07-31, 8:07 pm

Are you on the red side too, Harlequin?
JBlaze
JBlaze

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlequin 2012-07-31, 8:12 pm

JBlaze wrote:Are you on the red side too, Harlequin?

LOL!! scratch
Harlequin
Harlequin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next