420th.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Discord Server Status
Toronto / New York
London (UTC - ZULU)
Brussels
Helsinki

Venus Transit

3 posters

Go down

Venus Transit Empty Venus Transit

Post by ram22 2012-06-03, 6:43 pm

I've always been an astronomy nut. As a matter of fact, in High School, that's what I did my term papers on. Plus I have a telescope and of course binoculars(Russian made).

The 5th is when Venus will transit across the sun for a couple days. A few days ago the newspaper here said we wouldn't be able to see it on the east coast as it would be dark when it happened.

Well today's newspaper article said we would.

At any rate, this event only happens every 105 years. So, no one alive has ever seen it happen and those of us alive now will never see it again as it doesn't happen until 2117.

Now, I've seen 4 asteroids in my life, two in California and two in Arizona when I was a kid. Very awesome sight I must say as the damn things are so far away and so big that unless you sit there and watch them for 6 hrs during the night they don't appear to be moving although they are speeding through the universe.

This transit is way more rare than an any asteroid. This is a huge event. I'm not only going to try to see it before it gets dark here but I'm going to go to NASA's site as they and some other astrology related site's will be streaming it live.

I invite all of you to take the time to check it out as like I said it's something you will never see again.

Venus will be a very small spec crossing the sun's face but it can be seen with the naked eye.

Of course do not look at the sun directly for very long, really you shouldn't even do that. You use a mirror or a pin hole box.

It's best to watch the streaming stuff by the internet sites. Although I will attempt to see it live outside.

Brian
ram22
ram22

Back to top Go down

Venus Transit Empty Re: Venus Transit

Post by Spaz 2012-06-04, 9:19 pm

Been waiting for this for a while, going out tomorrow evening to watch. Never seen any asteroids, but saw comet Hale-Bopp back in the late 90's. A few months ago, the local astronomy group had a public observation night, where members brought out their own telescopes and let the public come up and look through them. I saw the fuckin cassini gap in Saturn's rings and the Orion nebula, plus the moon so close I swear I could see the lunar sound stage where they filmed the moon landings :p, was so freakin cool.
Spaz
Spaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Harlequin 2012-06-04, 9:41 pm

Brian, thanks for the reminder. I will be checking it out tomorrow night for sure.

I remember seeing Hale-Bopp. That ruled. Drunk out of my gourd in university, stumbled out of our building onto front campus in the dead of night, looked up and there it was. Unreal. I remember being able to see it for a few days.
Harlequin
Harlequin

http://www.420th.org

Back to top Go down

Post by ram22 2012-06-05, 1:17 pm

Oh dear, I porked up when I said Asteroid. I meant Comet's, I've seen 4 in my life. DOHHHHHHH

Brian
ram22
ram22

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaz 2012-06-05, 11:37 pm

@Ram22 Aha! I knew it
Spaz
Spaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content